Monday, June 21, 2010

Expectations vs. Realities

Parenting is such a journey of discovery. My latest enlightenment is that my expectations of the crawling stage have turned out to be opposite of what is true (for now.) I thought that crawling would mean chasing Eliana everywhere. It seems that really, I can't get away from her! She chases me around everywhere. Toys are second rate when there is a mum to torment! There is definitely a sweet aspect to having Eliana sit at my feet while I sew or crawl to the kitchen outskirts to watch me wash dishes.


But I'm also subject to daily savage attacks during our mum and bub times as she delights in crawling and drooling all over me, pinching, head butting, and tackling me, and (her favourite, I think) pulling my hair. I tried doing a pilates home DVD during Eliana's wake time the other day. I now think "the hundred" and other floor routines are best confined to nap time!
She daily makes me laugh as I see her unique personality coming out more and more. I thank the Lord that on this journey of discovery, my expectations of parenting have been far exceeded by the wonderful realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment